08 June 2016

Nothing to see here

(This is a still frame that I stole from an online video because I was awed by the lines of the crosswalks.)

Dear diary,

There’s nothing to see here, move along. That’s what the Officers of the Law always tell me when I try to peek over the yellow “Do Not Peek Over” ribbon that surrounds their crime scene. I chose this title for today’s post because today’s post isn’t really a post; it’s more of a placeholder. Here’s the scoop:

I stayed up too late agonizing about my favored candidate’s position in the presidential primaries that took place in your home state yestereven. The results were disheartening, so I woke up sad. I lacked the spirit to write anything down here. But now I’m delivering myself this BREAKING REPORT because my mood has improved. Please explain? Well I realized that my favored candidate is simply moving from “win the nomination” mode to “broadcast the message far and wide” mode.

Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing, seeking the spheres to connect them,
Till the bridge you will need be form’d, till the ductile anchor hold…

—from “A Noiseless Patient Spider” by Walt Whitman.

Of course, it would be best, for our present Age of Everything Awful, if my favored candidate could WIN the nomination; but it is equally if not MORE important, in the long run (for the good of the future) to disseminate the message. And this message is unstoppable. It’s been luring the less-harmonious cliques of our species into a finer and subtler harmony with the rest of the world, since ancient times. I’m thinking of the demands for social justice that were resounded by (among others) the Hebrew prophets.

…they sold the righteous for silver, and the poor for a pair of shoes; that pant after the dust of the earth on the head of the poor, and turn aside the way of the meek…

…this is a people robbed and spoiled; they are all of them snared in holes, and they are hid in prison houses: they are for a prey, and none delivereth; for a spoil, and none saith, Restore.

That’s Amos (2:6-7) and Isaiah (42:22). By the way, I repeat: I have no religion; I just like the force of the words of much of the Bible.

Anyway, now I’ve already written much more than I planned. I only meant to scribble a short note-to-self, so that my mind might recall what it felt, when this day is long gone. But here’s one last memory:

I rode my bike to the library today, to pick up a brand new book (by Noam Chomsky, called Who Rules the World?)—but I forgot to bring my haversack, so I had to hold the book in my right hand and steer with my left. For me, this was a great feat, because I’m not too coordinated. The drivers in the trucks at the stoplight were probably laughing at the sight of me wobbling past.

No comments:

More from Bryan Ray