07 February 2018

Bad photo leads to flat post

Dear diary,

You see? I snapped a photo of some books that I recently inherited. Although the awkwardness of the pic was not intentional, I kinda like it: it’s as if there’s zero gravity; or, even better, some counter-gravitational force which causes objects to fall up and stick to the firmament.

This will be a dull entry, very simple: in the main text, I’ll describe the photo’s contents; then I’ll share a rap track in the postscript.

Starting at the right we have a big book that I requested from the library. On my post “Standard life-love clickbait,” which dealt in part with the mad love that I found in (and for) Dante’s New Life, the secret agent codenamed “Speaking Mute” dropt a cryptic note that said:

I’ve recently discovered the maddest example of mad love in a very strange and very Renaissance Renaissance book called “Hypnerotomachia Poliphili” – or The Strife of Love in a Dream…

Then I responded:

Sleep + Love + Fight!? I can’t believe I’ve never heard of this before… I aim to get my hands on it A.S.A.P.!!

And since this title was initially nonexistent at my library, I almost ended up having to kickstart my bulldozer and heft pile after pile of NeoDepression-Era U.S. dollars to the publisher’s storefront, so as to buy my own copy of the book; but, a little later, when I checked again, the updated library results revealed that one new volume is available! so I put in a request for that and spent my gift card on Turgenev. So that’s why A.S.A.P. (“as soon as possible”) equals more than three months.

By the way, when I mentioned my bulldozer above, I originally wanted to phrase the statement in a way that would refer to my machine’s anatomy, specifically to its hoisting protuberance; so I researched the names for all its parts, and I was dismayed to learn that the scoopy-thing in the front is called the blade – isn’t that weird? You’d expect it to be named something more like shovel or bucket. That latter term is what the appendage is called when it’s on an excavator (according to a website that sells “spare parts for heavy equipment”); but the term excavator doesn’t have the same ring as bulldozer, so, in the end, I just decided to rephrase my quip and forgo mentioning the beast’s attractive body.

Now, this next paragraph, I admit, contains no sentence that was not stolen from the encyclopedia.

Anabaptists are Christians who believe that baptism is valid only when the candidate confesses his or her faith in Christ and wants to be baptized. This believer’s baptism is opposed to the Papists’ practice of baptizing infants, who are not able to make a conscious decision to be baptized. (Papist is a pejorative term referring to the Roman Catholic Church, its teachings, practices, or adherents.) The name Anabaptist means “one who baptizes again”. Their persecutors named them this, referring to the practice of baptizing persons when they converted or declared their faith in Christ, even if they had been “baptized” in their infancy.

I only offer the above cento to assure that my message is as clear as it can be, when I declare that we should anabaptize (by which I mean rechristen) the digging-gripping-lugging-heaving adjunct on any construction vehicle: no longer should we refer to this as the blade but as the pan, the trough, or the DROP CLAW.

I take that last, all-caps term from a “Crane Skill Game” that I found in Trouville, France. (A booth of glass was filled with “pony plushes,” which, by jerking a coin-op joystick at the booth’s exterior, could be groped by a mechanism hanging from the ceiling within.) Pardon one last encyclopedia burglary: This “Crane Skill Game” is known by a variety of other names, such as “Robo-talon”; “Dexterity Winch”; “Teddy Picker”; and “Very Stupid Engine”. It is a type of arcade game known as a merchandiser, commonly found in supermarkets, restaurants, shopping malls, bowling alleys, and church basements.

(There truly was a pinball machine in the basement of our family’s hometown church.)

Alright, back to the book pic. Next we have Blake’s brief epic Milton. That’s always the last title that we read in our daily readings, me and my sweetheart. We stick to a sequence. We’re currently working on a stack of five books. We enjoy Blake last because he’s the most exuberant: Blake is dessert. Before that comes the writings of Giorgio de Chirico (not pictured here) — certain fragments from his unpublished manuscripts are included at the end of our copy of his novel Hebdomeros, which we recently finished. I can’t recommend that book enough. We read the best books, me and my sweetheart; they have all the best words. Then before de Chirico we read Marianne Moore. In the photo, she appears second from the left.

It may be that proud spirits love only the lion or the elephant with its howdah. Miss Moore, however, loves all animals, fierce or mild, ancient or modern.

That’s from the essay by Wallace Stevens: “About One of Marianne Moore’s Poems”. The image that appears in the pic above is our library’s copy of Moore, but we used the remaining balance of our gift card to purchase our own damn copy of her life-work, because it’s so sublime that you cannot be satisfied with simply reading it in a borrowed volume that must be returned GOD FORBID but rather you want to hoard every one of her poems in your high-security bank vault atop your ever-growing mountain of super-wealth...

And before Moore daily we read one of the “sketches” from A Sportsman’s Notebook by Ivan Turgenev. As I said above, this was the other book that I bought with my gift certificate. Turgenev was on my mind because of another comment, this one from my colleague M.P. Powers – he listed Turgenev in answer to the “death-row book question” (my alternative to the “desert-island book question”; see also the Q&A section of my February 1st entry “Fresh Until February First”), among two others. The fellows of Powers’ trinity, by the way, are Goethe’s Faust and Schopenhauer’s Parerga and Paralipomena, both of which I love too and own copies of; but the only book I own by Turgenev is Fathers and Sons, the novel, which I love to death; that’s why I decided to buy his collection of short stories.

And before Turgenev (now I’m returning to the stack of five books that I read aloud with my sweetheart daily), we review the Hebrew prophets, represented by Tanakh in the accompanying photo – we chose to enjoy THIS after finishing Bentley Layton’s translation of The Gnostic Scriptures (and before THAT we read Alcoran) – we’re starting with the Book of Joshua, which deals with all the stuff that happened after the death of Moses.

Just as every good thing that the LORD your God promised you has been fulfilled for you, so the LORD can bring upon you every evil thing until He has wiped you off this good land…

That’s from 23:15. But I wanted to give a quote from de Chirico, too, because he mentions the aforesaid work from Arthur Schopenhauer in one of the miscellaneous texts that we read just yesterday – it’s a manuscript from the collection of Jean Paulhan which starts out like so:

What will the aim of future painting be? The same as that of poetry, music and philosophy: to create previously unknown sensations; to strip art of everything routine and accepted…

I love thinking about the future. Especially the future of art. After this beautiful intro, de Chirico provides a link to my own first collection as an example of what he’s talking about, and then he gives a quote from our good neighbor S.:

A truly immortal work of art can only be born through revelation. Schopenhauer has, perhaps, best defined and also (why not) explained such a moment when in Parerga & Paralipomena he says, “To have original, extraordinary, and perhaps even immortal ideas, one has but to isolate oneself from the world for a few moments so completely that the most commonplace happenings appear to be new and unfamiliar, and in this way reveal their true essence.”

Now I must end this entry – I’m out of time. I thus leave many deeds unfinished: for I still need to complete my comparison of the marketplace and the art world, regarding their respective stances towards the Ten Commandments, which I began in my previous post and planned to continue here; PLUS I need to tell you about the talk that I had on Saturday with my boss (it was nothing special, but we name-dropt some movies that I’d like to relay to you here); and I also have two quotes prepared, which I’m eager to share: one’s from Platoon (1986) and the other’s from Judgment at Nuremberg (1961); I already copied out both and saved them in a text file, but I can’t just plop them here on the screen without any explanation—I need to set them up! These things take time.

Oh yeah & the box set in the picture above is a series of documentaries directed by Oliver Stone & written with the historian Peter Kuznick – it’s called The Untold History of the United States. I’ve talked about this masterpiece here before, but I love it so much that I’m watching it again. I even finished the huge 700-page book that Stone & Kuznick wrote to accompany the films. Then after that I tackled Gore Vidal’s Narratives of Empire – a collection of seven historical novels (or novelized histories), which dramatize the U.S.’s infancy and adolescence (I don’t think my country is an adult yet, for better or worse), because such love is in the air. Never before in my life have I cared about politics, and I always thought history was soul-numbingly boring, but the 2016 primary fiasco drew my attention to all the blah-blah-blah and now I’m a dullard.

P.S.

I still have a ton of old rap demos that I need to get rid of, but the process of transferring these things onto the Internet is annoying, so I drag my feet about it (if you’re fashionably late to the non-party, my headquarters is at Bandcamp; I also have a base at YouTube); but today I forced myself to share another—here’s some excuses:

More than a decade ago, my friend purchased a new computer program that came equipped with a number of “hip-hop FX” (that is, beats & noises), so I asked him if he would produce a rap album for me (I normally just create my own stuff on my analog 4-track, plus I HATE recording on the computer, that’s why this seemed like a worthy idea). So my friend said yes and clicked his mouse & made a few tracks for me to rap over. Below is one of them. Neither of us knew how to EQ or mix or master any of the sounds on the newfangled system (as I said, I am only familiar with analog equipment), so the volume levels are noticeably off.

(Now I just realized that I already explained all this in the italicized note that precedes the lyrics in the following audio link. I will never forgive myself.)

https://bryanray444.tumblr.com/post/170629917081/in-2004-my-friend-bought-a-sound-production

7 comments:

M.P. Powers said...

I love this entry, not just because I'm mentioned in it. Love the Schopenhauer quote, and will be looking further into Miss Moore. I'd never even heard of her, if you can believe it. Well, maybe you can. I have major gaps in my literary scope and knowledge. I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion of Sketches. Also looking forward to those movie quotes. I just got Amazon Prime, and am trying now to get myself back into movie mode, after about a 25 year break. You mentioned a list of your favorites on a previous post. Don't remember exactly when. Can you post a link to that? I want to re-read.

Bryan Ray said...

Ah thanks! I always feel a little strange about ‘shouting out’ anyone because, although I want to be accurate & give credit where it’s due (plus, in your case, I want to lure readers to your work because I believe in it), I also fear that overtly naming a given person will oblige that person to respond, in the way that a telemarketer forces his victim either to acquiesce or to act rudely... but you’re a good sport, and this is an unsolvable dilemma, so I’ll leave it alone... (I feel better, having noted my misgivings!)

As for Moore, I’m late-to-the-party in the worst way; I wish I had the excuse of never having heard of her: my crime is severer than mere ignorance, for I knew she’d been praised by great minds and yet I waited till now to approach her. (But there’s so much excellence out there—I wonder if it’s even possible to catch up.) You say “I have major gaps in my literary scope and knowledge.” —Can I say exactly the same for myself without sounding tautological? I feel like your statement means simply & precisely “I am human.” I’d never heard of Celine’s Journey to the End of the Night till you praised it; and consider: THIS LATE I’m finally getting to Turgenev’s sketches!

Yes and those sketches are even better than I expected—and you know my expectation was heavens-high. We’re about seven in, out of what looks like twenty-five total. Today we read “Lgov,” the one where our four friends suffer small-boat trouble while hunting ducks. I can see how these pieces would inspire anyone to take up writing: they’re at once divinely simple and human-centered, while they offer such rewarding depth of insight into our nature, into the passions, into society’s structures: so they’re complex only as J.S. Bach is complex. I also love the seemingly structureless structure of the sketches: the way that they sometimes contain mini-episodes with new characters, and even some just end abruptly; so much is charmingly impromptu, as if the narrator is relaying memories without any motive but to pass the time: I love that ease… it reminds me of the flowing, nonchalant nature of personal letters, or even of our preferred style of modern blogging…

But perhaps the reader is tired of sitting with me at Ovsyanikov’s, and I shall therefore lapse into eloquent silence.

You probably recognize that that’s the last sentence of the sketch called ‘Ovsyanikov the Freeholder’. I love how the writing goes here & there, and longer tales are told within the larger composition, then the whole thing simply stops as above without warning!

…& there’s a moment in ‘The Country Doctor’ that made me laugh as hard as only one or two other texts have ever done—I’m thinking I’d have to go to the exchanges between Don Quixote & Sancho in Cervantes’ holy novel, OR to “Ali the Persian’s Story of the Kurd Sharper” from The Arabian Nights, to laugh as genuinely as this little moment in Turgenev’s tale, where, after the patient asks the doctor to reveal his Christian name to her, he does so and she reacts by “screwing her eyes up” and “whispering [in French] something unflattering”. —I’m well aware how UN-funny it sounds when mentioned in this way, out of context, so dryly—but that’s part of my point: it comes off as genius in the story, the whole story’s pure genius. …I could go on & on praising the book: I’m absolutely loving it.

Bryan Ray said...

[2 of 4]

Yeah and Prime: I just only recently became familiar with Netflix because my local friend got a subscription (or whatever they call it), but I’ve never lucked into the Prime realm so I’m not sure what exactly it offers—so if the titles I mention are unavailable, just know I’m not trying to send you on impossible missions. Plus you know I’m always too shy about the concept of recommending artworks: I feel that art and taste are so personal that all one can do is PROVOKE another viewer rather than PLEASE when one lists one’s favorite titles (I steal this idea from Emerson); plus any such list reveals more about the heart and soul of the curator than it does about any so-called objective canon… Having said that, however, I’m sufficiently proud-arrogant-pompous-overconfident-bigheaded-egotistical (is there a German word that covers all those bases?—I urge you to coin one!), I say, I’m sufficiently self-satisfied to LOVE ram-horning my opinion, so I’ll copy-paste some names haphazardly (& by “ram-horning” I simply mean “trumpeting”—this notion was on my mind since I’ve been reading the post-Moses battle histories in the Hebrew Bible recently)...

First, you ask specifically about a movie list from one of my previous posts—I’m thinking maybe you’re remembering the stuff that I said in my entry about the new church that I plan on inventing: this link should bring you right to the place but I’ll re-copy all the pertinent info here below too, because I’m eager to revise and keep molding and shaping my choices, to see how they change over time:

TOP FAVE LIST

Any and all of John Cassavetes’ films, like A Woman Under the Influence (1974);

Many from Luis Buñuel: The Exterminating Angel (1962) and L’Age d’Or (1930) and The Milky Way (1969), and pretty much all the stuff that he made from Belle de jour (1967) onward...

Stanley Kubrick’s films—again, multiple; especially, Dr. Strangelove and 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968);

I love the original Star Wars (1977); by George Lucas, plus the other two movies from the original trilogy…

I think pretty much everything that Orson Welles ever made was interesting, even his failures…

…a lot of David Lynch films, of course. I don’t know which ones you’ve seen, but I think the most important are Eraserhead (1977), Blue Velvet (1986), and Mulholland Drive (2001)…

And Ingmar Bergman’s Persona (1966); and many others from Bergman

…much from Michelangelo Antonioni, especially L’Eclisse (1962) … L'Avventura (1960)… and Blowup (1966)

ALL of Errol Morris’ documentaries: a few of my favorites are The Fog of War (2003); Gates of Heaven (1978); Vernon, Florida (1981); The Thin Blue Line (1988); Fast, Cheap & Out of Control (1997); Tabloid (2010); and if it’s available his TV series First Person (2000) is well worth watching; AND his 6-part miniseries Wormwood (2017), but I think that last one is exclusively Netflix…

ALL of Werner Herzog’s filmography; my super-favorites are Land of Silence and Darkness (1971); Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972); Stroszek (1977); The Wild Blue Yonder (2005); and as you well know Grizzly Man (2005)

…from Quentin Dupieux: Wrong (2012) and Wrong Cops (2013)

[TO BE CONTINUED]

Bryan Ray said...

[3 of 4]

The films directed by Charlie Kaufman: Synecdoche, New York (2008) – this, I say, is the very best movie that will be released in our lifetime, tho I hated it at first and couldn’t even get halfway thru it! ...also his other one: Anomalisa (2015)

...& these two films whose screenplays are by Charlie Kaufman yet which were directed by Spike Jonze: Being John Malkovich (1999) and Adaptation (2002)...

Every single film by Paul Thomas Anderson is wholly excellent, God-approved, beyond excellent: especially my favorite The Master (2012). I love There Will Be Blood (2007); Magnolia (1999) and even the one that no one agrees with me about: Punch-Drunk Love (2002) cuz it is a love story that is tenderly awkwardly genuine

…Of efforts directed by Lars von Trier, a lot—he’s interesting even when his experiments don’t work: I love most Dogville (2003) and Melancholia (2005); also his earlier sad films Breaking the Waves (1996) and Dancer in the Dark (2000)…

…Béla Tarr’s Werckmeister Harmonies (2000); also The Turin Horse (2011); and Sátántangó (1994)

Guy Maddin: among many rich weird surrealistic treasures, my faves are The Saddest Music in the World (2003); Careful (1992); Brand Upon the Brain! (2006); and My Winnipeg (2007) --- by the way, that last title induced the best review that Roger Ebert ever wrote (according to my incomplete knowledge): he did a good job duly-honoring My Winnipeg...

All the directors associated with the French New Wave intrigue me, and I love Éric Rohmer’s entire filmography, plus much of the brave wild CINEMA-POEMS of Jean-Luc Godard (I’m trying hard only to mention my very favorites—I love the other directors too tho) BUT as time goes on, I think that Jacques Rivette might be my favorite of all – it’s strange to say, because his films are hard to find here in the States, so I’ve not even seen his entire filmography; but from the ones I’m familiar with, I still love most Celine and Julie Go Boating (1974); also La Belle Noiseuse (1991); and Out 1: Noli me tangere (1970)…

* * * GOD DAMMIT IT’S JUST TOO FUN TO KEEP RECALLING THESE TITLES: JUST FORGIVE ME FOR TYPING UP WAY TOO MANY, AND KNOW THAT I AM ENJOYING MYSELF SUPREMELY * * *

Robert Downey Sr. – this is the one director that I might list if you only allowed me one director to list. Pure genius, which I am very jealous of: my star favorite is Two Tons of Turquoise to Taos Tonight (not the longer version released in 1975 under a different title, but the re-edit from the 2012 Eclipse Series 33 set); also Chafed Elbows (1966) and Babo 73 (1964) and No More Excuses (1968) – basically everything in the aforesaid Eclipse set (subtitled “Up All Night with Robert Downey Sr.”; tho I have no idea how the Eclipse set title will help you on Amazon!) EXCEPT, I repeat, EXCEPT Putney Swope (1969) – everyone thinks Putney Swope is his best film but I say it’s his least interesting; and I’ve watched it numerous times specifically to test my judgment, because I really don’t want to disagree with the consensus, especially if it’s the underground midnight-movie crowd whose members I usually adore, but I cannot tell a lie: they’re wrong this time. Two Tons of Turquoise to Taos Tonight is the masterwork.

[seriously I repeat again, I know how crazy it is that I’m going on interminably; but I woke up sad this morning, and this list-making is improving my mood like a charm; so just ignore it if it’s non-whelming or rudely longwinded: It was in the making that I had my reward!]

Now let the LORD curse me eternally for doing so, I shall still post a concluding reply after this one...

Bryan Ray said...

[4 of 4]

I mentioned Oliver Stone’s documentary series Untold History of the U.S. above – I love many other of Stone’s films too: his best is JFK (1991)… also I’m fond of Nixon (1995) – and, to be clear, I loved these latter two titles back when I LOATHED politics: they are strong films despite their political, biographical nature. I remember Stone saying on the commentary track to JFK that he thinks this is his own The Godfather (referring to Francis Ford Coppola’s 1972 masterpiece, which I also love to death) – with that, I agree.

Did I mention yet My Dinner with Andre (1981)? I love that – as well as much of Louis Malle’s filmography…

Fellini films! (I’m now getting exhausted and I realize I haven’t even mentioned much films from earlier decades, let alone silent films… just consider these jottings an initial hasty attempt…)

Billy Wilder’s movies: among many, many others, Double Indemnity (1944); The Apartment (1960); and my favorite, one of the best films ever made: Sunset Boulevard (1950)…

The films of Sergei Eisenstein (esp. pt. 2 of Ivan the Terrible); the films of Fritz Lang (esp… no: too many beloved to name); the films of Ernst Lubitsch, Alfred Hitchcock…

…ah I forgot to mention, among the newer directors, Wes Anderson, whose The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) is my favorite modern comedy… also I love his 2007 film The Darjeeling Limited (2007)…

Julien Donkey-Boy (1999) by Harmony Korine.

I like a lot of Todd Solondz movies… esp. Happiness (1998)

Quentin Tarantino: Pulp Fiction (1994), Inglourious Basterds (2009), Django Unchained (2012)… and Jackie Brown (1997) is pretty good…

Now that I mention QT I realize that I’ve neglected other super-popular names like Scorsese etc.—that’s only because I think they get enough hype as it is, and it’s easy to find their best stuff… I love the big names and their big films tho, usually… BUT with a mega-blockbuster director like Steven Spielberg, I think it’s worth mentioning that I love a few films from his life-work while disliking most of the others. The ones that I love are Duel (1971); E.T. (1982); and I have a soft spot for Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977).

Louis Malle’s 1969 documentary series Phantom India (plus Calcutta, which was released separately but belongs with the material)

A lot from Satyajit Ray, esp. The Music Room (1958, a.k.a. Jalsaghar)

But perhaps the choir is tired of listening to my Green Ray Church Film Sermon... I shall therefore lapse into eloquent silence.

Bryan Ray said...

[5 of 4]

…ah but I forgot to mention Jean Renoir! (son of the painter Pierre-Auguste) – everything the man makes is bursting with life, and humane to the core… one title of his that I really love, which should also be easy to find because of its renown, is called The Rules of the Game (1939) – it reminds me a lot of W. Anderson’s The Life Aquatic, tho they’ll probably shoot me for saying that… (& “they” = anyone anywhere)

O and also one last link, which I give mostly as a note-to-self since I’m selfishly half-thinking that I, even I, will use this reply to help organize my future movie-thots, but since I always idolize David Lynch so much, maybe it’ll help to refer to the list that I made, where I ran through his entire output and delivered a Final, Binding Judgment: that’s RIGHT HERE, on my "P.S. on D.L." post. (Sorry, for the 52nd time, for being so self-indulgent with my obsessive ordering & opining – I assumed it was OK to do so since it’d only take up a ton of space in my own little comment section here…)

In closing, I wish you prosperous moviewatching!

M.P. Powers said...

Thanks for all the great suggestions & no problem at all about the length of response, you never have to apologize about that. I have favorited this blog so I'll be able to come back to it again and again whenever I need ideas. I have already looked up some of these on Amazon Prime, and they're all available, but some cost money to rent. Unfortunately, Prime isn't all free. But they're are several that are, so I will beginning there. Probably tonight... with whatever I can get meine freundin Erica to agree on. Thanks again!

p.s. this cracked me up: proud-arrogant-pompous-overconfident-bigheaded-egotistical (is there a German word that covers all those bases?—I urge you to coin one! I will used the word Werner Herzog used to describe Klaus Kinski: EGOMANISCH

More from Bryan Ray