05 March 2015

A short thought about God

I’ll write a short thought about God after I share these graven images that were found on a package of furnace filters:

A thought

If there truly is a single almighty God who created our world, and this God possesses a male body and drives around in a spaceship, then I don’t think that it would be difficult for Him to spy on people without being observed Himself. So the fact that I’ve never seen this God doesn’t surprise me.

But I’m concerned about how lonely God must be. Even if He allows angels to ride along in the back of His saucer, He would still lack an equal companion, like a spouse or co-pilot, with whom He could share the joys and sorrows of Godhood. Having angels for friends is like keeping household pets: they’re lovable, and maybe less vexing than a spouse might be on occasion; but mere pets cannot give God the articulate conversation that He desires.

Another thing that I don’t understand about our world’s Creator is why it bothers Him so much when humans construct high towers. The biblical book of Genesis (11:5-8) says:

 . . . the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.

And the LORD said: “Behold the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.”

So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth . . .

I’d have assumed that God would be more worried about people building helicopters or moon rockets, since those things are prone to collide with Him in the air. There must be something about a tower that just naturally bugs the heck out of invincible deities.

But, since I too am an author of confusion, the idea of confounding a language really intrigues me. How did God accomplish it? He said, “let us go down”; therefore He didn’t choose to remain safely inside of his space pod, like a coward, and provoke the disaster simply by snapping his fingers – no: He personally descended into the city and either landed His vehicle or cruised about at a low altitude to commit His mischief.

I wonder exactly what the good LORD did to the earthlings, to bring about such a terrible misunderstanding. Did He alter their minds with substances? (We are talking about the Guy who invented every illegal drug known to man.) – And now I think to myself: If I wanted to confound a nation’s language, how would I go about it? Casting a magic spell would be too boring. Maybe I’d saturate the book market with misprinted dictionaries.

No comments:

More from Bryan Ray